Pages

Saturday, September 12, 2009

Zoom-in Scene Tobias Wolff Sentence

"The bullet went in between the dog's eyes," (Wolff Hunter's in the Snow 26). His head snapped back and the dog was flung on its side. It let out a heart wrenching whimper as it died and its previously fiery yellow eyes misted over into a soft gray.

Kenny's shot was true and there was little blood, but the dog's head was warm and slick from the slow trickle.

The dog was facing me and its blood burned a hole in the snow. The blood was not in contrast to the dull whites, grays, browns and greens of the landscape. A pale grayish blue, the blood seemed in a hurry to become a part of its surroundings. Almost as if it were getting out of the way to bring our attention back to the dog.

Kenny's face changed in an instant from a mask of macho anger to a look of doubt and surprise. Just as quickly he regained control over himself and wore an ugly sneer. But I had seen it. Even under that false pretense of indifference Kenny was not as jaded as one might think. In that instant he had shown a softness I hadn't seen in the ten years I had known him.

Puzzled, I straightened up and looked into his eyes, yearning to see his true self again.

And that was when he lifted his shotgun towards me and said, "I hate you."

No comments:

Post a Comment