Pages

Monday, September 14, 2009

Real, Accelerated and Slow Time (Tobias / Hunter's)

"Puzzled, I straightened up and looked into his eyes, yearning to see his true self again."

Kenny lifted his hunting rifle toward me and said, "I hate you."

"Kenny wai..."

The gun spat in the crisp winter air and I gasped sharply as the bucket hit me. It entered in my right shoulder, tearing through my thick coat as easily as fingers through wet paper.

I fell backward, my butt hitting the hard packed snow. I looked down, but felt its presence before I saw the damage.

Warm blood slowly poked its way to the surface, its flow slowed by all the chipped and mangled bones.


Despite this not being a life threatening situation my cowardice prevailed and my thoughts took off.

The first time I met my first love and now ex-wife. I had been at the gym and Jane was just another person trying to keep fit. She had gently touched my shoulder, the one now with the bullet in it. Her mouth said "Hi," but her eyes spoke much more about her compassion and warmth.

Should I tell Jane? Am I going to even see her again? Will she give me a second chance? Will she even want to see me? My thoughts spiraled out of control unnecessarily.


I looked up at Frank. Poor guy, he loved a babysitter. A 16-year old babysitter. Was just plumb mad over over her. He was bound to screw up, do something rash, illegal, shameful with her. Life hadn't been kind to Frank either. His mom had fallen asleep at the wheel while driving to see him and he had been just laid off. I mean, look who he was hanging out with. A lard boy and a homicidal jerk. I don't know what it was about a sudden physical injury that made me so empathetic.

No comments:

Post a Comment